Tuesday, September 18, 2007

10,000 Calories and Proud of It
























I'm taking a night off from blogging about Josh and Molly to indulge in a bit of shameless self promotion.

Since I was young, I have at times been recklessly inspired by pictures of baked goods that I think I can make myself. Unfortunately, many of those attempts at upper-level baking have resulted in failure, such as the watermelon replica cookies I tried to make when I was a child. Today, however, I got it right!

This is called Darkest Chocolate Crepe Cake, and I first saw it on marthastewart.com (yes, I visit marthastewart.com regularly) a few months ago. Tonight we went out to celebrate our friend Stephanie's birthday, and I had a great reason to attempt this challenge.

It took the entire day, including making crepes, hazelnut cream and chocolate icing, part of that while doing my best to keep Josh from licking everything in the kitchen that had touched ingredients. Molly even got in on the action when some chocolate icing dripped on the floor near where she was scooting around.

It was all worth it, however, when I made the dramatic first cut into the cake and saw this! Even better, it tasted as good as it looked. I'm just so proud of it that I had to post it on my blog.

Happy Birthday, Steph!


3 comments:

Fifi said...

That was the most unique birthday cake I've had to date. I feel most privileged that it was made for my birthday! Thank you, Marty! You're a dear friend and a very gifted baker. Oh and the cake was delicious!

Hannah Murray said...

Oh, man.... I knew there would be sacrifices involved in moving to Peru, but I forgot about this one.

Unknown said...

so wish we lived in charlotte right now--i do miss your baking benevolence! btw, i love keeping up with your blog!