Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Creek

Because we moved so much when I was growing up, I don't have many geographic places attached with my childhood that I can revisit. So I was very excited to take Josh and Molly to Holmes Creek in Vernon, Fla., this weekend. My mom and her sister swam here when they were kids, and my brother and my cousins and I spent many summer afternoons swimming in the creek and stopping by the gas station for a Nestle Crunch ice cream bar afterward. It was a lot of fun, and I'm sure we'll be back many times in summers to come. The water is usually so cold that it takes your breath away, but this year it's been so hot that even Molly didn't complain about the water.


Josh was desperate to try the rope swing (it's in the background), and we even tried to get him to do it, but he wouldn't hold on to the rope long enough to swing out over the water (it takes some coordination to swing out and drop into the water where it's deep enough). We compromised instead, and Mom just tossed him off the side where people usually catch the rope. It was about an 8 foot drop, but he thought it was great.
Granny (my grandmother) couldn't bear to watch us throw Josh into the creek, so she took Molly off to the picnic tables.

We stopped by the creek again this morning for a quick swim before returning to Gainesville, and Dad tossed "Air Josh" into the water for awhile. Josh then slept for three hours on the drive to my parents' house!

No comments: