Sunday, June 28, 2009

Fun in the country

Josh, Molly and I spent the weekend at my grandmother's attending a family reunion and enjoying some fun in the Florida panhandle. We attended the Chipley Watermelon Festival parade Saturday morning, which the kids thoroughly enjoyed after realizing that people would throw candy and beads at them. Here's Molly after a successful candy collection on the street. Please notice her watermelon-appropriate outfit.

We also took the kids to Holmes Creek, a favorite swimming hole of the locals, who were out in force. Josh was desperate to swing off the tree rope, but he was so excited that he let go every time before he got out over the water.

The water in Holmes Creek is icy cold, and Josh's zero percent body fat made it a short swim for him. Molly lasted much longer and was really mad when we left.

We ended the day at my grandmother's farm with a water balloon fight, watermelon eating and a farm bath, which involved putting the kids out on the carport and spraying them down with the water hose.
Josh and I made the looooong drive home today, and we stopped off in Atlanta to visit Woodward Academy, my old boarding school, which I amazingly located after almost 20 years. It was fun to show him my old school, which looks better than ever. We even had a conversation about learning, which went like this (this is after he had asked me to name every school I had attended and every teacher I had):

Josh: Mommy, what did you learn about in school?
Me: I learned about writing and books.
Josh: I learned about life cycles.

OK.

No comments: