Thursday, April 24, 2008

Kindergarten Oriented

We have just finished a week of orientation meetings for kindergarten, and it has gone surprisingly well. Making the decision to send Josh to kindergarten in the fall was difficult, as he will be one of the youngest in his class and already has some issues that set him behind.

Tonight we walked up with some neighbors and Josh's future co-kindergarteners to the school orientation. I was bracing for the worst, but Josh gladly went off to a classroom with the other kids while I went to the parent meeting. When I picked him up, he was actually sitting on the carpet listening to the teacher--a major accomplishment for Josh.

As I was telling Emily tonight, Josh's issues have made the otherwise "normal" things of his childhood that much sweeter. I was so happy walking home from school with Josh and the neighbors, watching Josh stop to play "Ring around the Rosies" and pretending to be a duck and a shark with the other kids. For a kid with Josh's issues, interacting with other children and using his imagination are big steps forward. "Normal" is a big deal around here, and it was so nice to get a taste of it tonight!

2 comments:

Fifi said...

Marty, this is so great! I am really happy things went so well with orientation. I can't believe he's going to be in Kindergarten already!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Josh is really growing up! I'm glad to hear the orientation went well and he had fun.