Saturday, November 10, 2007

Goodbye, Old Friend

Today was a very sad day, as we had to put my cat Maggie to sleep. She stopped eating about two days ago, and today she was diagnosed with renal failure that was essentially beyond help. I was thankful that it was a clear choice to end her suffering, but I'm still sad to lose a longtime pet. Chris took Maggie to the vet and held her while she received the injection.

Corinne and I picked out Maggie from the animal shelter in Wilmington weeks after we graduated from college, which makes her about 12.5 years old--geriatric for a cat. Maggie has been with me for pretty much my whole adult life, and I know I will miss her, even though she could be a bitter and contentious old cat. I said my goodbyes before she and Chris left for the vet this morning, and I'm glad that she now is finally at peace.

1 comment:

corinne said...

I'm so sorry, Marty... I'm glad that Maggie had a long and good life, and that she had somewhat mellowed since her Psycho Maggie youth (while still retaining her contentious flair). She was so fortunate that you chose her that day, since you were uniquely able to love and appreciate her all of these years. I liked my up-and-mostly-down relationship with Maggie and am grateful to have gotten a little video glimpse of her the other week to bring back the old memories. Take care...