Saturday, July 28, 2007

Hi Big Guy

Josh's latest bit of charming behavior is referring to everyone, regardless of age, size or gender, as "big guy." It was kind of cute at first, but after a week of "big guy" mishaps, he's now spending some time in time out to impress upon him that "big guy" is not the best way to refer to people.

Here are some of Josh's big guy incidents this week (other than constantly calling me "big guy" in public):

He said, "Bye, big guy" to Alex, the male college students who is one of his speech therapy clinicians. I heard the other other three clinicians, who are women, giggling as we walked out the door.

He yelled, "Bye, big guys" to two men in suits who were exiting St. Gabriel Catholic Church (which hosts speech therapy camp) at the same time we were. I know they heard him, but they thankfully ignored us.

He said, "Hi, big guy" to one of the moms dropping off her kid at speech therapy camp. I just grabbed Josh's hand and walked faster. It gets awkward to launch into an explanation of how he didn't really mean that the person (especially if it's a woman) he was talking to is a big guy and that he knows the difference between big, little, men and women.

Sometimes he remembers that he's not supposed to say "big guy," so he just says "big." This doesn't help, as he just says, "Hi, Big" to random people instead. The great part is that Josh has good articulation and a loud voice, so there's really no mistaking what he said or who he's talking to.

The person who started this knows who he is! And if Josh calls any of you Big Guy, please don't take it personally!

3 comments:

Ronnie Metzl said...

I think I know the originator of the Big Guy term. I'll make sure he sees the blog item!

Jerry Metzl said...

Mart/Chris/Josh,
All I can say is OOPS and tell the 'Big Guy' I'm sorry he's getting into trouble!

Marty said...

Only Josh would take something meant affectionately and turn it into large-scale embarrassment for me!